Failproof flakey pastry stuffed with mochi and chocolate

Failproof flakey pastry stuffed with mochi and chocolate

Listen, I’ve made this flakey pastry about four times now.  And each time, no matter how every single signs along the way was pointing towards an inevitable heartbreaking disaster, somehow, miraculously, it always turned out amazing.  I’ve stuffed them with jam and cheese, with fruits and nuts, and this time, with bittersweet chocolate blended together with dark brown sugar and peanut butter plus a good chewy padding of sticky rice mochi on the bottom, and still I couldn’t manage to fuck it up.  More crispy and shards-like than puff pastry, but more defined and layered than pie crust, comes together fast and relatively easy, and goes down even more so.

So, as someone with a very unlucky track record in the baking arena, I pass this recipe onto you.  I’d say good luck, but something tells me you won’t need very much of it.

Failproof flakey pastry stuffed with mochi and chocolate

If you're a big mochi fan and would like a higher mochi:chocolate ratio, you could increase the sticky rice flour to 1 cup (110 grams), whole milk to 1/2 cup (120 grams) and 3 tbsp of light brown sugar. You can also swap the chocolate filling with fruit fillings, chestnut puree and etc.

Ingredients

• CHOCOLATE FILLING:
  • 3.5 oz (100 grams) bittersweet chocolate
  • 1/3 cup (65 grams) dark brown sugar
  • 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp (32 grams) peanut butter

Instructions

1. PREPARE PASTRY AND FILLING: Microwave 1 1/2 cup of water on high for about 1:30 min to bring it to a temperature of 130-140F/55-60 C. I recommend measuring it with a thermometer to be sure. Inside a large bowl, add flour, sea salt and 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp (115 grams) warm water, and mix until a craggy but even and cohesive dough forms. There no need to knead it further because we don't want much gluten to develop (in fact the warm water is to eliminate gluten). Cover the bowl and flash-freeze in the freezer for 15 min until the dough is cool to the touch.
  2. Meanwhile, whisk together sticky rice flour, light brown sugar and whole milk in a microwave-safe bowl until even. Microwave the mixture on medium power for 45 seconds interval for about 4 to 5 times, stirring with a fork in between, until the mixture comes together as a sticky and stretchy dough. Keep stirring and kneading if you will with a fork until the dough is very even and bouncy. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge until needed.
  3. In a food-processor, pulse bittersweet chocolate, dark brown sugar and ground cinnamon until coarsely ground. Add peanut butter and pulse until the mixture resembles wet sand. Keep in the fridge until needed.
  4. SHAPE THE PASTRY: Transfer the flour dough onto a well-floured working surface and roll it out into a rectangle (keep it as neatly rectangular as you can) about 8"x11", the size of A4 paper. Use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into thin plates and evenly arrange them to cover 2/3 of the rectangular dough but leaving about a 3/4" (2cm) margin all around. If the butter is not covering the area very evenly, you can spread it out a little with a butter knife, no worries.
  5. Brush the egg all around the margin, then fold the unbuttered 1/3 of the dough over the buttered area. Pat on it with some pressure to eliminate major air pockets, then fold the bottom 1/3 of the buttered dough over again, pat on it, then pinch on the margin to make sure the edges are sealed. Cut off some excess edges if any.
  6. Then rotate the dough 90 degrees, roll it out into the size of an A4 paper again. Some butter may squeeze out from the edges but listen, IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL. Simply smear it back onto the dough wherever, no big deal!! If there are large air bubbles being pushed around, poke it with a wooden skewer. If the dough or squeeze out butter is making it stick or messy, dust over with more flour. REPEAT AFTER ME, IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL. Fold the rectangular dough the same way again, 1/3 towards to the middle and the other 1/3 over again. Rotate 90 degrees, and repeat one more time. So basically 3 foldings. Now flash-freeze the folded dough in the freezer for 20 min. Meanwhile, dust the chilled mochi dough with cornstarch to prevent sticking, and roll it out into a rectangle about 5"x8" (13x20 cm), set aside until needed.
  7. Now place the chilled dough on the working surface seam-side down, and roll it out again into a larger rectangle about 10"x15" (26x38 cm), thinner than a typical pie crust. Use a pastry cutter to cut off the curving edges to make it a perfect rectangle. Spread the chocolate-mixture in the middle covering an area little more than 1/3 of the width with a 3/4" margin (see photo for guidance). Place the mochi sheet on top, which should fit perfectly. Brush the beaten egg around the margin, then fold each side of the dough towards the middle to close (you should have a partial overlap of dough). Pinch the edges to seal tightly, then flip the whole thing over.
  8. You can bake it immediately, or chill in the fridge for later. Either way, brush the whole surface with beaten egg and bake it in a 400 F/200 C oven with FAN-ON (or 430F/220C without fan) for 35 min, rotate half-way, until golden-browned all over. Let cool on a rack for 20 minute before serving. It will be much easier to cut with a scissor than a knife.

Gluten-free, low-carb, chewy all-purpose noodles made of chicken breast
  • nlrlayton

August 17, 2020 at 11:47 PM Reply

love the contrasting textures!

• Anna

August 18, 2020 at 12:04 AM Reply

Hi Mandy,
    It’s been a while since I’ve visited your site…there has been a major surgery and many changes in my life yet I’m So happy to be back and see/read your images and stories/recipes. This will be my first recipe to try in a while, wish me luck but perhaps I may not need it !? Hope all is well with you and your family. Best wishes from the US of A.
    BTW, the very right side of your site doesn’t appear on my iPad screen (it’s been cut off) so I’m having to guess what you’ve written. Any ideas?

• mandy@ladyandpups

August 18, 2020 at 2:37 AM Reply

Anna, hm that’s strange because it’s showing on my iPad. Sorry but I have no idea why!

• Emily

August 19, 2020 at 5:46 AM Reply

Hi Anna,
      I have the same problem. Have you tried to rotate your iPad screen to Portrait Orientation? It helped me.

• Poppyxcheska

August 18, 2020 at 1:01 AM Reply

Hey Mandy, a thought— if the objective of the crust is to avoid too much gluten formation, would subbing some APF out for corn starch, barley or rye flour etc help?

• mandy@ladyandpups

August 18, 2020 at 2:36 AM Reply

Poppy, that won’t work better because the warm water also Serves to soften the dough. And grainy flour like rye may (just speculating) make the dough tear more easily.

• Lee

August 18, 2020 at 1:36 AM Reply

Hi Mandy, I would love to try this recipe out but i have no microwave. Is there any alternative way to do that??

• mandy@ladyandpups

August 18, 2020 at 2:33 AM Reply

Lee, for water you could heat it up on the stove with thermometer. And mochi you can cook it over low heat while stirring ;)

• Aly

August 18, 2020 at 2:27 AM Reply

should i add all 1-1/2 cups of water to the pastry dough or only 115g? looks so good!

• mandy@ladyandpups

August 18, 2020 at 2:32 AM Reply

All, it’s 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp warm water :)

• mandy@ladyandpups

August 18, 2020 at 2:39 AM Reply

only 115 grams! :)

• june

August 18, 2020 at 5:39 AM Reply

Mandy, I think the confusion comes from your first line of instructions that says “Microwave 1 1/2 cup water”.

• mandy@ladyandpups

August 18, 2020 at 1:26 PM

June, sorry I clarified it in the instruction :)

• Joanna Xu

August 18, 2020 at 5:14 AM Reply

I’m too excited to try this. Thank you, Mandy!!!

• Diane

August 18, 2020 at 8:47 PM Reply

Is egg wash necessary because I want to make it vegan?

• Virginia

August 19, 2020 at 1:42 AM Reply

Does the brand Mochiko work for the sticky rice flour?

• mandy@ladyandpups

August 19, 2020 at 2:03 AM Reply

Virginia, I’ve never used that brand before but I believe it’s the same thing.

• mandy@ladyandpups

August 19, 2020 at 2:03 AM Reply

Diane, I guess you can use water to seal the margins:)

• rose

September 14, 2020 at 1:17 AM Reply

I always sub nut milk for egg wash and it works well – not the same as egg but the best alternative I’ve tried.

PS: LOVED you on food52 – you are so charming and it is so wonderful to cook “along with you” that I hope you do many more videos.

• Amanda

August 19, 2020 at 6:35 AM Reply

I’ve been cooking through your site/cookbook and everything has been unbelievable. I am a terrible baker but am determined to give this recipe a shot!

What would you recommend as substitution for the peanut butter for those of us who were cursed with a peanut allergy? Can’t wait to try this!! :D

• Emily

August 19, 2020 at 9:26 AM Reply

Using mochi is such a good idea! I cannot wait to try with a modified gluten-free version. I know it won’t be anywhere near as good but that is the life of someone with celiac disease. Have you tried making gluten free flaky pastry? Any tips?

• Andrea

August 20, 2020 at 1:27 PM Reply

I just made this and it tasted fantastic! Unfortunately my pastry wasn’t as flaky and defined as your appeared to be. I’m baking in Hawaii, without air conditioning, which is challenging. Luckily my husband said make it again whenever you want and don’t change a thing! Looking forward to trying it again.

• Vanessa

September 13, 2020 at 11:58 PM Reply

Loved the ease of this recipe and the contrasting textures! The top of my pastry came out fairly hard though (much harder than I would expect for a puff pastry for example). It seems like yours has quite a bit of crunch too – did I do something wrong or is this the way you intended it to be?

• mandy@ladyandpups

September 14, 2020 at 2:05 AM Reply

Vanessa, no this is not a puff pastry, but the surface shouldn’t be “hard” either, more like crispy.

• Rose

August 22, 2020 at 2:57 PM Reply

You cannot do this to me. I was just bemoaning my quarantine weight gain and then I see this on your blog.I will just have to make this and hope that rolling out the pastry will count as exercise and negate the calories consumed.

• Poppyxcheska

August 30, 2020 at 2:13 AM Reply

Thanks for responding earlier! Another question— why the milk in making the mochi? Curious as to your thought process

• Marisa

September 8, 2020 at 4:48 AM Reply

Can you think of any substitutions for the peanut butter because of allergies? Thanks

• mandy@ladyandpups

September 8, 2020 at 1:50 PM Reply

Marisa, you can use other nut butter, too, or nutella.

• Marisa

September 9, 2020 at 6:04 AM Reply

It’s an allergy to all nuts :( do you think maybe sunflower butter would work?

• mandy@ladyandpups

September 9, 2020 at 2:06 PM Reply

Never tried it but you can just omit the nut butter and use milk chocolate (more melty) instead

• Marisa

September 11, 2020 at 5:01 AM

Ok, thank you so much! Looking forward to making this