THE ARUGULA IS NOT JUST THERE TO VALIDATE THAT I’M STILL A HUMAN BEING…
If you thought, we shared a passionate connection yesterday over orange ramen for our new segment – The Shits I Eat When I’m By Myself – well, here comes true love.
True love is… true love is… I say true love is when your other half walked in on you, with this throbbing in your mouth, said nothing, walked away and pretended like nothing happened, and didn’t cancel your credit card… Uh, what was in
your mouth oh I mean, my mouth you asked? Uhem… even the mere pronunciation of the words, has to come with great courage… It’s sharp gouda grilled cheese. …………….. OK. OK… that’s not entirely honest. Wwwell, it’s sharp gouda grilled cheese with baby arugula, and something tangy, spicy hot and fabulously crunchy in between… What? Now you’re just prying…
Fine! FINE! It’s flaming hot crunchy cheetos! It’s FLAMING HOT CRUNCHY CHEETOS! And I fucking love this shit! Ya happy now? It’s gooey melted gouda grilled cheese, but with a crunchy and contrasting texture sandwiched right in between, releasing neon-red powers that are, possibly, the last surviving legal addiction. And didn’t you hear that there’s A-RU-GU-LA? Which is, a ve-ge-ta-ble. Which is, not just there to validate that I’m still a human being, but to elevate the entire flavour profile to please anyone, who obviously, isn’t insane.
What’s not to like? Don’t answer that…
- 2 slices white toast
- 4~6 thin slices gouda cheese
- 1 cup flaming hot crunchy cheetos
- 1 handful baby arugula
- Melted unsalted butter for brushing
- Place 2 ~ 3 slices of gouda cheese on each side of the toast (depending on the size but you'll want at least 2 layers for each sides). Pile on the flaming hot crunchy cheetos and baby arugula, then close the sandwich. Brush the toasts evenly with melted unsalted butter.
- Heat up a skillet over medium-low heat, then grill the toast until golden browned on both sides. You'll want to keep the heat not too hot, so the toasts don't burn before the cheese melts (which is important because that's what holds everything together).
- Eat IMMEDIATELY before the cheetos get stale.
It's important that you consume this immediately out of the skillet, undeterred by the voice of reason in your head, standing over the kitchen-counter if you must, while the crunchy cheetos are still retain their crunches! There's something worse than doing shit this wrong, and that is, not to enjoy it at the height of its filthy pleasure.
I love to use gouda cheese for its sharpness, but you can also use swiss cheese or provolone cheese as substitute. I wouldn't use something like sharp cheddar because it might overwhelm the cheetos.
Arugula, not just there for show. It's important.